Star Beauty – Be bold
“There is the rule book that says, if you are creating drama with the eyes, down-play the lips and vice versa so the two don’t compete for attention” says Jessica Lawther, Communications Manager at Estee Lauder.
Winter has always been a season to smoulder, and you can play by the rules, by focusing on defining either the eyes or the lips. Or you can break the rules and combine smokey eyes with sexy, provocative lips. There is sexy and there is trashy when it comes to this look, but if you follow Penelope Cruz’ lead, you’ll break the rules with style and seduction.
Personally, I like to play by the rules too, I don’t know if its just a safe zone or if I prefer to have one focal point, but I must admit, solid coloured lips with sexy, defined eyes really do look amazing together.
So, here are some products I got to play with this week, and some I have yet to try but am just as intrigued. These products will help you nail the winter smoulder look whether you’re playing it safe or living on the wild side.
Instead of using eyeshadow for smokey eyes, check out Revlon’s Beyond Natural Defining Eye Pencils. Line your upper lash line and smudge, focusing on keeping the outer corners darker while lightening as you get towards the inner corner of the eye. Smudging allows you to choose your desired colour intensity, whether you want a subtle shadow or deep set, dark and mysterious shade.
Use Revlon Charcoal for a subtle shade or Revlon Black for deeper colour. If you’re brave, you can even use these pencils cover the entire lid, just remember to blend – no streaks allowed. And, if you’re just after definition, try Revlon Colour stay eyeliner for solid, non-blotchy colour.
GOT TO TRY: HANNON black eye pencils are not only hypo allergic, but the soft gel formulation can be blended into a very natural line that gives enough definition to smokey eyes, but without the harsh lines. This eye pencil also comes in PURPLE and retails at around R85.00 .
No defined eye would be complete without the boldest, blackest mascara. I got to test drive these four fab, new products this week and think they are perfect for finishing off bold eyes.
- Estee Lauder Turbo Lash is innovative, gorgeous and helps you cover each lash in high impact mascara without moving a muscle. Yep, this mascara has a build in motion system that allows you to define each lash with precision and accurately. The result, perfectly defined, volumised and sexy lashes in no time at all. * Turbolash will be available at Estee Lauder counters nation wide from April 2009
- Prime and define with Revlon Lash Fantasy Total Definition mascara. It will give you x5 the volume with no clumps and it’s not just a claim – it really works.
- Define-a-Lash from Maybeline is perfect for separating each lash and giving you that sexy, feathered effect. The Flexi brush with it’s soft bristles makes it really easy to apply with a great end result.
- This week, I got to try Loreal’s fabulous mascara for the first time and I have to say, I think I may just be addicted to Volume Collagen. For someone with very short, very fine lashes, this mascara really gives them the va-va- voom the need. I could actually feel the thickness in my lashes.
“Lipstick is the ultimate beauty icon. Glossy or matte, subtle or striking, nothing says glamour quite like perfectly defined, sensual red lips” says Jessica. In addition, she adds that there is a red for everyone, its just finding your perfect match. So, why not visit your nearest Estee Lauder counter and take them up on their free I-Match Service to help you find your perfect red.
Give your lips some red hot loving and try out these super hot, super striking shades. I did and this is what I thought…
- My absolute favourite, and a colour that suits my complexion perfectly is Benefit PocketPal – It’s a combination of the infamous Benetint and clear gloss for sexy, wine stained lips that last day with the added benefit of gloss to keep them kissable.
- If you cant do red lips, or feel that they are too bold for you, try Revlons’s Softsilver Rose lipstick. A shimering pinkish-red shade that looks pretty and is sexy without being too provocative.
- Now this colour is Striking. If you want to make a statement with your lips, and this shade suits your complexion (it looks terrible on my olive skin), try Revlon Red Superlustrous Lipstick. Its solid colour that lasts long and is a beautiful, vixen shade or red.
- Now this is more up “my alley”. Opulent Garnet from Revlon colour stay is more of your traditional, deep set tone of red. Its not as bright as 3, not as pink as 2 and has the right amount of red to make you feel like a superstar.
Don’t forget the nails
Striking eyes and lips need striking nails (don’t forget toe nails) too. For a really sexy shade that lasts and dries in a minute (I tested the theory and it works) check out L’Oréal Jet-Set Diamant nail colour. I used 503 and love the shade, it matches my bold lips perfectly