This week I introduce you to not one, but two fearless fashionistas. Melanie and Rebecca are gorgeous twins an both fashion bloggers with their own individual style.
First up is Rebecca, otherwise known as “Becs” from the blog Style With Benefits. Her fantastic style leans toward bohemian mixed with 80’s chic. Becs knows how to mix trends with her own style and make it look chic and wearable which makes her blog a huge source of inspiration.
1. Who or what inspired you to start your own blog?
I’ve always loved fashion which is largely due to my mom who would sew dresses for me and my sister when we young. Growing up we’d take trips to the fabric store with our mom and watch her sew. Aside from having an appreciation for clothing at a young age, I’ve followed other fashion/style blogs for some time and decided that I’d love to have a voice in such a creative community.
Melanie and I were going to start a blog together, but then I was dragging behind in helping to start it and Mel ended up starting hers first. I started my blog shortly after her.
2. How would you describe your style?
My style is a mixture of sorts, but it definitely has influences from 80’s and early 90’s styles, gravitating toward a bohemian vibe. I love to wear head scarves and headbands across my forehead a lot, which is where the bohemian look comes into play. I stray away from preppy/classic and feel more comfortable wearing my vintage combat boots than a pair of heels.
3. Who inspires you fashion wise?
I read a lot of street style blogs, with my favorite being Stockholm Street Style. I’m also inspired by all of the other amazing style bloggers and love looking at model “off-duty” photos. Regarding celebrities and models, I love the styles of Alexa Chung, Erin Wasson, Mary Kate Olsen, Nicole Richie, Diane Kruger and Zoe Kravitz.
4. What are your 5 favourite fashion items and why?
- Anything with fringe: This relates to my love for the bohemian look. I just got this amazing black Topshop bodysuit with massive fringe on both arms which I can’t wait to wear and show on my blog.
- Combat boots: I wear my $20 vintage Justin Roper boots the most out of all my shoes. I love pairing them with a flirty dress to toughen up my look.
- Leather jackets: Similar to combat boots, a leather jacket gives your look instant edge.
- Lace dresses & tops: Lace allows you to be sexy, without being over the top.
- Maxi dresses: I’m short (5’3″) and always steered clear from maxi dresses because I thought they’d make me appear even shorter. I’ve found they do the exact opposite. A body-hugging maxi dress will actually help elongate you, and shows off your curves.
5. Describe a typical day in your life?
If I stay in during the weekday, a typical day includes my full-time job, blogging and watching reality TV shows in the evening. Yes, I’m a reality TV junkie. On the weekends, I enjoy going out for brunch, checking out local flea markets and relaxing at the beach. Melanie and I take our blog photos either before work or on the weekends.
6. Do people recognize the two of you from your blog?
I’ve only gotten recognized once and it was by a (non-fashion) blogger at an event.
7. What is it like being twins?
Being a twin is definitely interesting. Whenever Melanie and I are together, we’ll probably get asked if we are twins, or at the very least sisters, once a day. Since we are fraternal twins and have different hair styles (with my bangs and being a brunette), I’m still surprised that we get asked that question so frequently. When we first started blogging, people were confused and would think we were the same person. Apart from getting mixed up, which mostly happened when we were young, I do love being a twin because we are each other’s best friend. Plus, being able to share clothes doesn’t hurt either!
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
This is always a tough question because life is so unpredictable. I like to focus on the present and living in the moment, more than planning out my future. While I have long-term goals, I just hope that I’m happy, fulfilled and creatively stimulated in five years.
9. How do the both of you find a balance between blogging and your every day life?
I love blogging, but I’ve recently likened it to my unpaid part-time job. I’m on the computer for 8 hours during the work day, and what’s the first thing I do when I come home? Turn on the computer to either work on an upcoming post, edit my photos or catch up on reading other blogs. I wish I could say that there is a balance, but since I started blogging, it’s constantly in the back of my mind. I suppose it’s because I care about my blog so much and am constantly thinking about new ideas for posts.
10. What advice would you give to aspiring bloggers?
My new favorite phrase is “Just do you.” There are no limits in the blogosphere; if you want to start a blog, just do it. The fashion blogging community is full of welcoming and supportive people and we all share a mutual respect for one another. Blogging, especially fashion blogging, is huge right now. We all have a voice and if you want to share it with the world, then start a blog. It may be hard at first to launch your blog, but by visiting other style blogs, returning comments and having a distinct voice, the followers will come over time.
Not many people can pull off headbands and vintage combat boots while making it look really chic like Becs can, which definitely makes her one of The Fearless Fashionistas!
Dont miss Melanies interview same place next week.