This week we go inside Vanessa Haywood’s Beauty Bag. She’s the gorgeous, 32 year old South African Actress which you’ll probably recognize from the SA Blockbuster movie, District 9.
We asked her about hair, makeup, beauty and she shares a few of her beauty secrets with us…
Tell us a bit about your beauty regime
I cleanse my face in the morning using a face wash. Followed by a serum, then eye cream, moisturiser and then a good sunblock with both UVA and UVB filters. I repeat this just before I go to bed.
I also like to exfoliate my body once a week and lather myself in body cream every morning.
What’s your secret army of beauty products – the ones you can’t live without?
- iS Clinical skin care range – available at Skin and Body Renewal clinics
- SBR Repair cream for ultra dry skin
- Yves Saint Laurent – Touche Eclat concealer
- Shea Butter Body Butter from Clicks
- Chanel Mat Lumiere Foundation
What beauty goodies do you keep with you in your handbag?
- YSL Touche Eclat
- Clarins Colour Quench Lip Balm – no.16
- Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream
- Refresh eye drops
- Essence Eye Liner pen
On an average day of the week, how do you wear your makeup?
Very natural! Some powder, blush and mascara! That’s it!
And on the weekend?
Hardly anything unless I’m going out – then I like a smoky eye and some lipstick!
What do you love most about makeup and beauty?
I feel good when I’m all dolled up!!
What is the biggest beauty mistake women make?
Too much make-up or nothing at all. It’s all about balance.
What is your ultimate beauty treat?
(day spa, massage, bubble bath, treatment etc) I LOVE been pampered!! Spa treatments, massages, facials etc!!
Any tricks you’ve picked up from makeup artists?
- Most great make up artists use YSL’s Touche Eclat. I learnt of this product years ago and have been using it ever since! It is amazing for concealing dark rings under my eyes!
- Sun block, sun block, sun block! Many shoots take place outside in the blistering heat, so protecting your skin is essential!
- Legendary make up artist, Algria (Ferreira) has taught me more than I’ll ever be able to share! She is amazing! When I did my Elle cover shoot she used an awesome vibrating mascara from Estee Lauder called Turbolash! Great product!
You have a big event or photo shoot to attend and you’ve woken up with an even bigger pimple on your face. How do you manage conceal it? Do you have a magic potion or a tried and tested beauty “trick” to keep it under wraps?
Yes!!! A combination of YSL’s Touche Eclat and Almay’s line smoothing concealer! Works wonders for me!
How do you ensure you look your best, even when you’re really exhausted?
I do try to get as much sleep as possible but if I look tired, a cold gel pack on my face helps to pucker things up! I also drink lots of Green tea which has good caffeine in it and has great detoxing capabilities. Using great make up ranges like Chanel and MAC help a great deal too!
Do you have a specific set of products you use for “long lasting makeup” or do you check in the mirror/ ask a friend/ carry a compact?
I use MAC’s Prep and Prime! It is amazing for making make up look good for hours! I do carry a compact though – Chanel’s Natural Finish Pressed Powder.
How do you ensure you look good on camera? Any camera-friendly makeup products?
- MAC Prep and Prime
- YSL – Touche Eclat
- Chanel foundation
Are you sponsored by any makeup/ skincare/ beauty brands?
The Best of the best:
- Foundation: Chanel
- Eye Shadow: Anything MAC
- Mascara: Essence Maxium Definition
- Lipstick: Clarins Colour Quench lip balm – no. 16
- Hair products: Loreal salon products – shampoo and conditioner, Redken Anti-snap treatment, Sebastian Potion 9 leave in treatment.
- Nail polish – Essie – especially their wild new colours
- Fragrance: Issey Miyake
- Body Cream: Clicks Shea Body Butter
If you’d like to ask Vanessa any questions about beauty, post them in the comment boxes below and we’ll send them along
We Think You'll like these scoops too...