Today’s beauty confession is from essentials Magazine‘s Health and Beauty Editor, Tessa Passmore
How did you first get started in the beauty industry?
I studied at UCT and interned at Marie Claire for a while in Cape Town. I then moved to London and went to Central Saint Martins (a summer school student) where I studied more fashion orientated/ magazine subjects.
In London, I interned in the fashion industry, at a PR for Stella McCartney. I returned to South Africa and began working as an intern for essentials. I became a features writer and eventually the Beauty Editor in August 2010.
The beauty industry is so exciting and current. Worldwide there is no seasonal difference between products – very different to fashion, which can be quite dated down South here in SA.
What’s the best thing about your job?
Getting to try great new and exciting products.
What’s the most common questions girls ask you when they find out what you do?
“If it’s expensive does that mean it works better?”, “How do you know what’s good?” and “Do you really get to test out all the latest and newest products for free?”
What was your last beauty purchase?
Viktor & Rolf Flower Bomb
What are your top five beauty products right now?
- Shisedo Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Day Cream SPF 15
- Bobbi Brown Pot Liner in ink black
- Bobbi Brown Natural Finish, Long Lasting Foundation SPF 15
- Eyelash extensions by Flutter Eyelash Extension Artists – seriously life changing stuff! Call Melissa on 083 600 6678 or visit fluttereyelash.co.za. I’m completely hooked! No more mascara needed!
What are your all time fave products? Things you’ve loved since forever and can’t live without?
- Moroccan Oil – new fave! It smells like a dream and makes my hair super soft and ready to be blow dried into gorgeous waves
- Nivea Eye Makeup Remover – it doesn’t sting, its super gentle, non oily and inexpensive
- Platinum shampoos – My highlight’s need to be kept an ashy shade, so I only use shampoos that are (ultra)violet in colour to neutralise yellow. I like Wella’s Color Save Shampoo
- OPI nail colour – far superior to anything else. Lasts for ages and the glittery shades (Teenage dream – Katy Perry ) look exquisite
- Viktor & Rolf Flower Bomb – my all time favourite fragrance. I recently splurged on a bottle in duty-free because I love it so much. It epitomises how I want to smell and be perceived.
Any favourite blogs/ websites you visit?
Let us in on your top beauty tip:
Use a cotton bud dipped in eye makeup remover to help straighten wobbly liquid eye liner lines and erase smudges when doing a bold red lip.
Where can we find you?