Living in Durban and married to the love of her life, with a bulldog named Dennis and a Boston Terrier named Frank, Amber Jones is a fashion icon, designer and the quirky, retro-cool chick behind the blog, Thunder in Our Hearts. Amber lives and breathes fashion with an insanely obsessive addiction to magazines. If she was’nt in fashion, Amber reckons she’d probably have been a florist in another life.
In this week’s Front Row With series we chat with Amber on her second line (launched recently in Mr Price), find out what defines style and what you need if you want to break into fashion…
Your blog, thunderinourhearts.com is filled with cool content that inspires and excites you, tell us a bit about how you came up with the name Thunder In Our Hearts?
I heard the lyrics of a Kate Bush song and then found an insane tote bag on Fieldguided with the words printed onto it. Most often for me seeing something my eye finds really pleasing has a physical feeling attached to it – think it feels a bit like Thunder
How did you get started in fashion?
I studied a BA Hons in fashion at Linea Academy in Durban. It has always been something I knew I wanted love to do.
Youve recently launched your second range for Mr Price. Tell us a bit about your current collection and what inspired it?
The range is a fun take on vintage inspired grown-up-geek-chic. She is no longer bashful of her nerdy tendencies and chooses rather to flaunt them as an expression of her personality. Expect a bold and kooky colour palette, print mixing, fifties inspired silhouettes and quirky vintage detail. To me she is an amalgamation of Jenna Lyons from JCREW, Chloe Sevigny in Big Love and my Standard 6 maths teacher.
What to you defines style?
Wearing what makes you feel good and reflects who you are as a person.
What fashion labels, local and international are your faves?
Christopher Strong is doing some insane things & SUZAAN HEYNS is also too cool for school, Tiaan Nagel & Joel Janse van Vuuren are so on my radar!!!! Zara and Topshop have a special place in my heart- dream case scenario Carven, APC, Marc Jacobs, Karen Walker, Isabel Marant, Rag & Bone, Philip Lim, Miu miu, Marni
What are your five key clothing items this summer and how would you wear them/ mix them up etc?
- Summer frocks to throw on with bright sandals or heels for the eve. Go for bold colour or bright print and pair with statement necklaces for a kick.
- Coloured denim (Mr P has such an insane collection) with slouchy boyfriend tees.
- Vintage style Hawaiian shirts (via The Holmes Bros) worn knotted with denim shorts and cats eye frames.
- Glitz – Dont underestimate the pep-me-up-power of sequins over the festive season. Loving my sequined pencil skirt worn with slouchy knotted tees or with a mannish shirt tucked in and buttoned right up.
- Love easy draped trousers rolled at the hem worn with a bright woven tank and heels for a casual yet cool evening alternative.
What are you beauty must haves?
Mascara! Having those-oh-so-attractive pale lashed mean I always look like a mole in a hole without mascara! I also love MACs strobe cream for summer and cream blush is a MUST HAVE!
What do you always carry in your handbag
A pen and notebook, my camera and lip-balm.
What is your signature perfume?
D&G La Lune at the moment but always chopping and changing
What is your signature lip colour?
RED! Ruby Woo from MAC.
What is your favourite nail colour for Summer?
Im a bit of a natural nail girl- but will do the red toe thing sometimes too.
I see on your blog profile you read too many blogs which five are your faves?
Sheesh- 5 is such a hard pick! Here goes:
What advice do you have for girls wanting to get into fashion, doing what you do?
- Really love fashion and have a passion for it- this will get you through everything.
- Be prepared to work hard and learn to accept criticism.
- Know where you want to be in 5 years and actively pursue that dream.
- Never think you know it all- read everything you can get your hands on, speak to people in the industry, do tons of work experience, intern and keep growing and expanding your skills base.