Well winter may be upon us, but the one great thing we can look forward to is all the fab fashion heading our way! I was at Woolies the other day scouting for ideas for my Woolies Scoop, and got completely overwhelmed by the gorgeous selection of clothing for winter, specifically their pants and maxi skirts!
After spending months in dresses and shorts I wasn’t looking forward to going back to boring old pants, but as you’ll see in this post, the selection of trendy and affordable bottoms at Woolworths this season are anything but boring!
Printed leggings are a huge trend and offer a great alternative to plain black leggings! Pair them with brights and you’ve really got a stand out outfit that makes a style statement!
Get it: These grey houndstooth printed leggings (R225) are great for winter and offer an alternative way to wear classic houndstooth, especially if the black and white graphic print of traditional houndstooth is too much for you. These have a supportive waistband and offer enough stretch to give your legs a streamlined look.
Wear it: I love how blogger Ewelyn from modishyou.blogspot.com has paired her stylish printed leggings with a bright red blazer, silky purple top and ankle boots! You can also tone down the look by wearing printed leggings with a plain white or grey longer length t-shirt, a black waterfall cardigan and finish off the look with a chunky, gret winter snood!
I am obsessed with Maxi Skirts at the moment! There is no going wrong with a well fitted maxi, and the more colour options you have hanging in your closet, the more outfit choices you can make! These closet staples are a must for winter (or summer) and can be worn dressed up or down!
- This sheer maxi-length satin skirt with fold over waistband (R299) is a great piece for day or night!
- This maroon studio.w skirt (R399), has a lovely waistband that will help you to create a flowing silhouette without making you look over-sized!
- For something a little more striking, I’m loving this geometric panel maxi skirt from studio.w (R299) – great for casual days!
- Wear your maxi with the band rolled up over a sexy satin top, cinched in high at the waist and finish with a belt and killer heels. Viola – you’ve got your perfect little LBD! Try the same look with a button-up shirt for a serious office look (remember to tuck it in!). Or you can break up colours, incorporating similar styling methods like Jany (via Chictopia)‘s Afternoon delight outfit!
- A flowing skirt looks great and if it’s the right length, it can make you look inches taller! I love how blogger Erika from asuyeta.com is wearing her maxi skirt with a tucked in, over-sized button-up shirt.
- Pair a cotton maxi skirt with a little white vest and denim shirt! Loving how blogger Elanie from clothedmuch.com styles her casual, yet chic look. Even her vintage bag worn across the body, gives this outfit that “oh so cool” look!
Tapered Trousers/ Harem Pants
Tapered trousers or harem pants are fab, especially for fuller bottomed figures. They fit loosely around the hips and taper downwards towards the ankle, hiding all those “trouble spots”. When worn high waisted, they can make your waist look super small – ala Rihanna!
Get it: These black, silky tapered pants (R299) are great for the office. They could even make a great weekend outfit with a fitted tank top and your flats. If you’re blessed with gorgeous ankles, show them off by rolling the pants up more at the bottom. One tip to keep in mind though, when wearing pants with “bulk” try keep it minimal on top. Look out for short jackets that will draw attention to your small waist.
Palazzo Pants/ Flared Trousers
Do you remember the time when Palazzo pants were in? Well if you loved them then, great news… they’re back in! This time around they are more daring with wider flares and bolder prints! Palazzo pants are great for adding height – especially when worn with stacked heels, and like the harem/ tapered pants above, when worn high waisted and cinched in they can make you look skinny!
- These paisley print palazzo pants from studio.w (R325) will definitely add a style statement to your outfit! Wear them with a plain black top to maximize the “wow” factor.
- Plain black palazzo pants like these ones from studio.w (R325) have a gorgeous waistband that will show off your small midsection.
- These geometric palazzo printed pants from studio.w (R325) are great worn with heels to the office, or flats for weekend dressing with style.
- Carolina from fashionsquad.com pairs her sheer navy palazzo pants with a simple white shirt, striking leopard print scarf and this gorgeous green bag! Check out more pics of her outfit here.
- I recently discovered Liz’s Blog Late Afternoon and am now hooked! Such a stylish girl. I loved her flared, candy green palazzo pants that look super chic paired with a floral top and neutral coat. Check out more pics of this outfit here.
The only thing that really excites me about winter, is being able to wear my boots and leggings! This year, I can’t wait to stock up on some old-school riding pants, or as they are known in horse riding circles - Jodhpurs!
The Item: Another alternative to traditional Jodhpurs, which are characterized mainly by lovely stitch patterns, are these fab black, slimfit pants from studio.w at Woolworths. They come in black, red or navy and look great worn over or under your boots! I love the little zips on the hip!