Gadgets & Technology
Make a Perfect Mediterranean Frappé with This Awesome Gadget
I’ve been dreaming about Frappé since we got back from our summer holiday in Greece this August. We literally drank these 24/7, day and night!
Since being back in SA, I have yet to find a restaurant or coffee shop that offers Frappé on their menu, so when I found this little Gadget at the Homemakers Expo last weekend, I was a happy Scoopie once again!
It’s called the Aerolatte and it’s the first-ever invented steam milk frother that opperates using batteries. It’s perfect for frothing up milk for you cappuccino, but it’s the ideal tool to whip up your very own Mediteranean-style Frappé.
Now, for those of you that don’t know what Frappé is, it’s pretty much a cold coffee drink that is made by whipping instant coffee, sugar and a small amount of water into a froth, then throwing in some ice cubes and topping it up with ice cold water. Then, enjoyed through a straw.
It’s not difficult to make, but can be a mission getting it right if you don’t have the right tools! In Greece, of course, they have hundreds of Frappé making tools and Nescafe has even come up with their own version of Frappé instant coffee granules. The Aerolatte baby works like a dream in whipping up the perfect Frappé, the only thing that’s missing is the beautiful Mediterranean ocean backdrop!
There are different Aerolatte machines available, some branded with really cool graphics! I loved the Union Jack one, but we ended up buying “the big boy” – The Professional Stainless Steel Steam Free Milk Frother, because well, we use it a lot and wanted something that could taking the beating – literally! The cow print one was also really cute, but like the Union Jack one, not the strongest of the lot.
Where to get your Aerolatte frother
You can find a wide range of these frothers on Yuppiechef, and follow Aerolatte South Africa on Facebook to get in touch with them for more information and stockist details.
How to Make The Perfect Frappe
Recipe from www.whats4eats.com
- Instant coffee (preferably Nescafé®) — 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons
- Cold water — 2/3 cup
- Sugar (optional) — 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Milk (optional) — 1/4 cup
- Ice cubes (optional) — 2 to 3 each
- Add desired amount of coffee, sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the water and blend until the mixture forms a thick and frothy foam.
- Pour the foam into a tall glass and stir in the remaining water and the sugar, milk and ice cubes if desired. Drink with a straw.
- Skétos: no sugar added.
- Métrios: medium-sweet (about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar).
- Glykós: sweet (2 to 3 teaspoons sugar).
- Horis Gala: without milk.