You guys! Summer is here, despite this gloomy weather! And with summer comes swimwear – eeek! I asked you gals on Twitter and my Instagram Stories to vote on which you preferred; the one-piece or a two-piece swimsuit and you girls are definitely feeling the one piece vibe.
It’s a good thing though, because the one piece is making a huge comeback this year, which means our local store offering is filled with choice! Being in the market for a new swimsuit myself, I headed out to the shops to find cute swimwear, so if you’re looking for a new cozzie, then keep on reading…
The One Piece Wonder
The last time I recall wearing a one piece swimsuit was back in the days of my School Galas! Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the one piece, in fact, I love it, but the options in the past, were either too boring or too damn expensive, because it was only the very exclusive brands that had really cute ones!
With the one piece making waves this summer, you can find a much bigger selection of this stylish little number everywhere you look and these three are my absolute faves!
1. From David Jones at Woolworths this little black number is my number one pick! Timeless and stylish! Although an all-black one piece swimsuit reminds me of school galas, this one is anything but school girl! It’s got a beautiful cut and the ruching detail is quite flattering.
It also has light padding on top so that you don’t end up looking like a surfboard and the V-cut is low enough to remain sexy without your girls going wild!
Price – R350 from Woolworths.
2. From Witchery at Woolworths this lush botanical print swimsuit is another great one piece wonder! Again, it has a very flattering ruching detail on the waistline, that gives it “something extra” and makes the swimsuit more streamlined.
The plunging neckline on this one is gorgeous, and it doesn’t plunge too far down, so it’s still comfortable to wear.
Price – R999 from Woolworths
3. From Foschini this bright and tropical swimsuit is perfect to avoid tan lines while standing out on the beach!
I like that it has a very flattering bandeau top that you can untie without being the centre of unwanted attention – if you know what I mean lol! The print is also very striking and will look gorgeous with bronzed summer skin!
Price – R450 from Foschini
Not a Bikini, Not Quite a One Piece
The cut out style of swimsuit has been around for a while. It’s something almost midway between a one-piece and a bikini. The only problem with these types of swimsuits is that they do tend to highlight the “naked skin” a bit more – so if you’re not comfortable in a bikini, this option could be even worse! Even though there is more fabric, the skin that peeks out demands attention.
But you know what I always say…. If you like something, try it on and see how it actually looks before you decide on whether it’s for you or not! You may be pleasantly surprised, and worse case scenario, you’ll know for sure that this style is not you!
You can still find those super sexy, serious cut out styles with really exposed details, but I found these three to be quite flattering and not too OTT…
1. This ZARA Cut out swimsuit is simple, yet can look very sexy if you have the mid section to pull it off!
Now, I’m not saying you need rock hard abs (although this type of cut will definitely put them on display), so you should try it on before you buy to be sure!
Price – R479 from ZARA
2. This Woolworths twisted cut out was almost a winner for me! I just couldn’t get the neckline to behave how I wanted it to. And the last thing I want is to be fussing over it on the beach.
If you’ve got the shoulders to hold up this swimsuit, you probably wont have the same problem as I did, but since my shoulders are so narrow, I found this swimsuit too difficult to pull off, even though, I loved everything else about it.
Price – R399 from Woolworths
3. Another Woolies pick, because they really do have such a beautiful selection this year! When I saw this Edition two-piece, I was like okay, yes! I love that you can buy the top and bottom separately – which is aways great and that the top comes in actual bra sizes, not just S, M and L.
While this one is technically a bikini I’m putting in my not a bikini, not quite a one piece selection because it has elements of cut out details on the top and bottom.
Price – Top R299 and bottoms R199 from Woolworths
If you still favour the Bikini then you’ll be spoilt for choice with so many cute ones too! I honestly found THE best selection at H&M and again, you can buy the top and bottom separately – with the top sizing being that of a bra.
While putting together this feature, I couldn’t see half the amazing H&M pieces on their website, so do yourself a favour and pop in to check them out.
You’ll definitely find something you love.
1. This Super Push Up Bikini from H&M offers serious va-va-voom with thickly padded cups and a sturdy metal fastener at the back.
It’s a classic black shade, but adds a little interest with a lovely textured fabric that makes it look way more expensive than it actually is. I found a standard bikini that matches, but on the website I could only find the high waisted option in the same fabric, which is also kinda cute and very on trend this summer.
Price – Top R279 and bottoms R249 from H&M
2. How cute is this Royal T Lace Inset Bikini from Zando? I’m obsessed with the crochet, boho panels that take a simple black bikini into something more stylish and eye catching.
Price – R499 from Zando
3. Now, if you’re into halter necks, this little red beauty from H&M is a winner! The print reminds me of bandanas don’t you think? Also, the little detail in the centre is cute and it has removable inserts which make it a winner.
Price – Top R249 and bottoms R179 from H&M
Do you have a favourite? Comment below and let me know![signature]