It’s been just over two weeks since I had my first Fraxel Dual laser treatment and my skin is looking great! I’m still amazed by the difference the Fraxel Dual has made, not only by finally tackling my pigmentation (head on), but my skin is probably in the best condition it’s ever been!
While the laser is the main reason for the massive improvement in lightening my pigmentation marks and giving my skin new life, like any thing in life, maintenance is key. In the case of the Fraxel Dual laser treatment, you have to get your skin ‘ready’ for the laser 4 weeks before the treatment and keep up a good skincare routine afterwards to ensure maximum success of the Fraxel.
So today, I’m sharing my full skincare routine; pre, during and post my Fraxel Dual laser and showing you every single product I used and still currently using.
Dr Lawn and the doctors at Skin Renewal treat hormonal pigmentation holistically, by aiming to approach and address all the internal and external causes of melasma and treating them. It’s no good going full out on a laser treatment, if you’re not addressing all possible issues and causes.
During my first consult, Dr Lawn suggested a prescribed skincare routine that I should follow; with a list of products and supplementation to ensure maximum success with my laser. Of course, I didn’t need to use every single one of the products (as it works out pretty pricey), but the Retinol, Pigment Corrector, Sunscreen and a gentle cleanser were absolute musts as was supplementation with Glisodin and Vitamin D3.
I had been battling with pigmentation for years, and my skin was looking so dull and depressing before I met with Dr Lawn that I didn’t want to leave anything to chance. I really wanted to cover all my bases and make sure I had done everything possible to ensure that the laser would work it’s magic, so I included every step in my prescribed skincare routine.
This is the same routine I started with 4 weeks before my Fraxel Dual laser treatment, and now after my laser treatment until my next one and so on and so on. It was only during the week following the laser that I skipped out on all but one product.
So let’s dive in shall we…
My Picks from SkinCeuticals
SkinCeuticals was one of the brands recommended by Dr Lawn, and to be honest, I had heard a ton of rave reviews about this made in the USA range and was keen to try out their products.
I love the beautiful, minimalistic look of these products and the little blue tabs on the bottle that tell you what each one is designed for are genius. And it’s a really fantastic skincare range. Nothing I used irritated me and I like that fact that’s it’s more medical than indulgent skincare because their focus is purely on skin!
- The first morning product I use (after cleansing) is Skin Ceuticals Phloretin CF – an every day anti-oxidant serum. It combines a patented combination of 2% phloretin, 10% pure vitamin C, and 0.5% ferulic acid that work together as a shield against nasty free radicals that cause so much damage to your skin. What makes this product unique is that it absorbs into the skin almost instantly and doesn’t rub off – so you get a minimum of 72 hours of antioxidant protection. A little goes a long way! I use 4 drops and still have more than half left.
- Over the Antioxidant in the morning is Advanced Pigment Corrector. This helps to fade skin discolouration and improves luminosity of the skin, while enhancing your skin’s resistance to developing more pigment. While it didn’t take away my pigmentation (in the 4 weeks I used it before the laser), I certainly noticed a reduction in the pigmentation intensity. I’m still religious about using this product throughout my post laser treatment since I want to take every precaution to limit the chances of new pigmentation forming on my skin, since we all know that I am prone to it.
- The last product I apply in the mornings is SkinCeuticals UltraFacial Defense SPF 50+. I go between this sunscreen and the other one (that you will read about later). I’ve always been a firm believer in sunscreen because I know how damaging the sun can be and a broad-spectrum SPF is vital in any skincare routine. The lovely thing about the SkinCeuticals UltraFacial Defense SPF 50+ is that it’s very moisturizing and absorbs into the skin nicely without leaving a greasy film on my face. Even on day’s when I didn’t feel like moisturizer, my skin was feeling nice and nourished with this SPF alone.
- At night, the third product I apply after cleansing is my SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.3 cream. Just a pea size. SkinCeuticals have other Retinol strength’s available, but since you’ll see later on that I used a hydroquinone and tretinoin concoction as well, 0.3 was good enough for me. This is a high potency pure retinol product that’s enhanced with innovative stabilisation and delivery technologies to ensure you get maximum retinol absorption into the skin.
- My last evening application is SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5; a skincare product that will benefit anyone really! It boosts the skin’s moisture with a high concentration of Hyalauronic Acid and Vitamin B5. I’ve got the fluid version (it also comes in a gel) and throughout the 4 weeks pre laser, my skin was super hydrated, and even with the use of retinol and hydroquinone (which are typically drying) this was the genie that helped my skin stay peel-free during the first 4 weeks before my laser. Of course my skin peeled and scaled after the laser, but I’m back on my Hydrating B5 now and back to beautifully hydrated skin that feels moisturized rather than laced with heavy creams.
My Picks from Filorga
As you probably know, I’ve always been a huge Filorga fan, so when it came to my Fraxel Dual treatment, I wanted to incorporate some of Filorga’s products because I know first hand, that their products are out of this world.
- I use Filorga Micellar Anti-Aging Solution as my gentle cleanser; pre, during and post my Fraxel Dual laser treatment. I was told to avoid any harsh chemical cleansers, and since I’ve already used and loved Filorga’s Micellar Solution, this is what I used throughout my treatment and am still using it now. It’s a gentle cleanser that doesn’t require rinsing. It was perfect during that hectic week post my laser as it didn’t burn or irritate my already raw and tender skin.
- On the days when my skin feels dry, I moisturize with the new Filorga Skin-Absolute Day Cream, which is amazing! I’m a huge fan of Filorga’s Skin-Absolute Night Cream and while this one is totally different in texture, look and feel, it’s a great day cream, which among other benefits works as an accelerated multi-corrector that contains Extremozymes that are able to transform UV and infrared rays into energy and boost the cellular functions slowed down by the ageing process.
- The week following my Fraxel Dual treatment, my skin was very tender and I skipped out on all skincare products accept for two. My Micellar Solution as well as Filorga Neocica cream which is a universal repair cream that’s designed specifically for post peeling, post laser, post injections and irritations on the skin. I loaded up on this morning and night during my week following Fraxel Dual, but also throughout the day when my skin was feeling dry or I felt the need to pick coming on. I went through almost half the tube, but remember it was the only thing I used for the week following my laser.
And, I also used…
I told you guys it was a lot of skincare! These are all the other products I’m using as well as part of my skincare routine…
- The first product I use after cleansing at night is my Nexultra 3 Nuit from Universkin. I hadn’t used this brand before, but it’s brought in locally by the same people who do Filorga, so I trust them. It’s a creamy night emulsion that helps to boost collagen and counter effects physiological and environmental skin ageing. Lightweight and pleasant smelling it melts into the skin instantly and feels pretty darn good. It also restores the skin’s barrier and regenerates the epidermis.
- As mentioned earlier, Dr Lawn prescribed a hydroquinone and tretinoin based cream for me (it’s the little white tube) which I blended in with my Obagi Blend FX cream. I applied these two at night, as my second product. Hydroquinone is not a favourite with a lot of people, but I’ve used it before so I know it works and my skin handled the 4% mix.
- Last but not least, the other sunscreen I use, and this one was recommended by Dr Lawn is Heliocare 360 Airgel! This is one of the best smelling, greatest feeling sunscreens I’ve ever used on my face! It smells like peaches and the foam texture is sublime. But, the big benefit of this sunscreen is that in addition to being a broad spectrum SPF50, it also includes Fernblock – a powerful antioxidant, which repairs sun damage, such as DNA damage and premature skin ageing. BONUS
So there you have my full skincare routine. Like I said, I didn’t have to use every single product, but I wanted to make sure I had covered all my basis and I’m glad I did because my skin looks, simply amazing!
Where to find my products…